Friday 17 November 11:30 am
I am standing before the mirror in my family’s room at the B&B. I am wearing my most beautiful dress, a black robe with yellow (for postgraduate) and grey (for social sciences) over my shoulders, and a flat, square-shaped hat. The young woman in the mirror looks as if she can’t quite believe her eyes. It dawns upon me. This is it! I am actually graduating! In a short while I will be in the Canterbury Cathedral, receiving my MA Certificate from the Chancellor of the University of Kent, before a fully seated congregation of people; academic staff, students, families and other guests. I have never been to any ceremony like this, only seen it on TV or in movies. But this time it is about me. The thought overwhelms me for a second or two. Or five. Then I see my dad’s reflection in the mirror, and the pride on his face. It makes it all worth while.
Friday 8 pm
I have graduated. In a long and winding ceremony I eventually got my 20 seconds of fame, shaking hands with the chancellor, picking up my certificate from Jean, walking down the isle, smiling at my family and getting back to my seat. I have been to the departmental reception. I have returned the robe and the hat. Now I am seated at the Abode Restaurant, with my dad and my brother. We are having a seven course taster meal, and the kitchen gives us a complimentary soup for starters. There is a different drink for each dish. I delight in the company of my two companions, we enjoy ourselves and have a great time, discussing both the events of the day and other things. The waiter is extremely professional, the food is beyond imagination, the atmosphere is relaxed and I wonder what it would be like if life was always like this.
Saturday 5.30 am
I am so tired that I can barely keep my eyes open, let alone walk straight. After dinner at the Abode we went to a bar to meet some of my classmates. It was nice enough for me, but boring for my family so we left. And went to the Loft, but they don’t let in new people after 11.30pm. So we ended up calling it the day, dad + Torgeir going to the hotel. As for me, I went home. And my housemates were up, partly with company. So I stayed up for a while. And a while longer. And a bit longer. Fei, Emmet and I have been soul-searching most of the night when Türkai comes home, drunk as a skunk, and stage-dives onto the sofa and Emmet. Interesting. We have an amusing time before I finally give in and go to bed.
Saturday 4pm
Am enjoying Casino Royale, the new James Bond film. I thought initially that I would be tired because I slept only 3.5 hours last night, but the film is entertaining and so far I am not tired. Besides, there is a fancy dress party tonight…
Saturday 10 pm
Elizabeth Tudor is enjoying herself on the dance floor at the costume party. Her father Indiana Jones has played with all kids present and has now gone over to talking with adults and young people from Miss Tudor’s church. The brother of Miss Tudor, the Pirate of the (Nordic) Caribbean, has played with other kids too, showed off his sword and his pistol. Now he is enjoying beer, dancing and beaming from joy. Her friend Elizabeth Bennett, of Sense and Sensibility, also seems to enjoy the night and gets acquainted with more and more people. After an impressive dance show-off from the couple dressed from Dirty Dancing the atmosphere is ecstatic and it seems a bit sad when the taxi comes to take the quartet back…
Sunday 2 am
The Pirate has survived the dread of a Post-Graduate Society party that was full of undergraduates, Miss Tudor saved the beer from being nicked. Now they are recovering in the safe haven of Elsinore. The Pirate found a soul mate in Abdallah the Housemate and they giggle and joke while they enjoy smoking apple-something-something shisha. After the less-than-great PGS party the relaxing fun and joy offered by Tudor’s housemates makes a perfect end to the evening. And the Pirate gets to enjoy a motorbike ride back to the B&B, thanks to Emmet:-)
Sunday 8.20 am
Why, why, why? Why do dad and Torgeir have to leave so early? And why did I want to walk them to the station rather than let them take a taxi? Oh, I know, I really wanted to see them as much as possible. And I don’t regret it at all. But when I slept only 3.5 hours last night and only 4.5 hours this night, and have been to numerous parties and bars this weekend, then getting up at 7.30 on a Sunday is cruel. Self-inflicted cruelty! On the other hand: I got to hand my old French-book over to Agnes for use with another student, I got to have morning coffee (i.e. hot chocolate for me!) with Jennifer before going to church – and I got to enjoy church a lot. So it was a good Sunday in the end. I was just very tired.
20 November 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment