27 August 2007

My Zemun (now in English!)

This is Zemun, my part of the city, around sunset, with view towards central Belgrade and the Old City. The picture was made towards south, from a viewpoint within a short walking distance of ’my’ flat. I like to go here in the evenings and have a look, it is quite peaceful and beautiful. And from this point it takes three minutes to walk down to the Danube and the Kej (name of the promenade). On the left edge of the picture you see the Danube as a broad river running along Zemun and towards Belgrade. A bit further down the river (after the green/forested little island) Sava comes in from the right and converges with the Danube just below the Kalemegdan fortress. If you click on the picture to see a larger version you can see a tall brown building in the city centre in the background, a little to the right of the middle. The brown skyscraper is the tallest building you can see. I work right next to it, to the left when seen from this perspective. A very central location – and in a neighbourhood that was bombed intensively eight years ago. I am glad it is peaceful now; I love the location of both my flat and my office!


Above is a picture made from exactly the same place, but at night. You can see the nearly full moon rising above the rooftops behind to the left.

No comments: