08 November 2007

Tbilisi tonight

This woman was hit by rubber bullets yesterday. She has bruises on her face, hand, arms and on the body itself. I know, she showed me. They all stem from bullets, she was not beaten. We communicated in (my veeeeery) poor Russian.

Military vehicles are all along the main street, Rustaveli Avenue. This is on the corner opposite the parliament, two blocks from my office.

All streets leading onto Rustaveli ave. are blocked by military vehicles. Inside some of the vehicles there's food for the soldiers and the soldiers enter those trucks to eat, inside others they have equipment like gas masks. I know, because I looked.

Police truck with shields, clubs, helmets and other equipment for protection.

Yesterday this place was barely visible for teargas, and it is on the corner to the right I made a picture of lots of soldiers in the streets. Now it's open for traffic, but under control and with forces very nearby, ready to close in a minute if they have to.

Just to make sure no one even thinks about driving into Rustaveli ave. they've set up buses and police cars to block the road entirely.

An old woman discusses heatedly with the soldiers about the situation.

Portable toilets are set up at intervals along Rustaveli, so that the forces can stay for a long time if they have to.

Soldiers listening to the radio and eating inside a truck while the rain pours down outside.

The Parliament. Just outside the edge of the picture are loads of soldiers, police, trucks... They have locked this area off, pretty much, but one can walk relatively freely around on foot. I just did.

No comments: