19 December 2006

Report from Tromsø

I am now in Tromsø, North Norway. I arrived here 1am Sunday (night to Monday) and have enjoyed every minute since! It had started snowing a few days before getting here, so it looks pretty much like a winter wonderland. Isicles (?! is that how to spell it?) hang down from street lamps, and from the roof of bus sheds. The landscape and everything is covered in white, and once there is a gleam between the clouds of snow we can see the northern lights looming across the sky like fire'ish footprints of angels dancing in heaven. At least that is what I like to think.

Tonight I have spent lots of time (all, in fact!) with my friend Rita. We have known each other since we were 16 and not met since August 2004, so there is much ground to cover, but it is wonderful - and no stress whatsoever, which is a nice change to what things were like the last week or so in Canterbury. Essay marking is all done, I don't have any deadline, the work I need to do presents no rush yet and I am simply enjoying a holiday that feels well-deserved.


Tomorrow we are doing a couple of different things, and then I will take my camera along so that I later can show off what a wonderful white Christmas I had (to those unfortunate to be in Canterbury/England) ;-) I could so get used to this life, I think. And yes, I realise I need to get to bed soon, we have to be up before 8am tomorrow. Rita to do some official business, myself to wake her up so that she does not oversleep...

No comments: