21 August 2007

Presiseringer - Confirming information

Jeg hadde rett. To ganger.

I tidligere blogginnlegg lenger ned paa sida har jeg skrevet om dette bildet og minnesmerket. Jeg skrev "Jeg lurer på om det er et militærakademi, og at navnene er soldater som døde under bombinga, for alle har titler i ulik rang." I dag spurte jeg meg for blant folk som har vett paa det. De fortalte at det var hovedkommandoen til luftforsvaret som holdt til i dette bygget. Derfor bomba NATO det, og de som doede var noedvendigvis i luftforsvaret.

Det andre var da jeg skrev om Victor i et av innleggene under. Jeg skrev "Det ble satt opp i oktober 1918 paa tiaarsmarkeringen av ’gjennombruddet i Athen i 1908’. Vet ikke helt hva dette gjennombruddet var, men jeg gjetter paa at serberne sloss mot ottomanerne og vant en seier." Det stemte. Serbia, Bulgaria og Montenegro allierte seg med Hellas og hjalp grekerne i kampen for aa kaste ottomanerne ut fra Balkan og Europa, og i 1908 hadde de et gjennombrudd i Aten. Statuen 'til Seierherren' (Victor er latin for seierherre) ble satt opp til minne om dette gjennombruddet.

Alliansen mellom de fire i 'Balkanligaen' varte imidlertid ikke lenge; i 1912 begynte den foerste Balkankrigen som et direkte resultat av at Bulgaria og Serbia ikke ble enige om hvem som skulle faa mest av Makedonia etter at Ottomanerne var kastet ut. Den krigen varte nesten frem til jul 1913. Aaret etter braket foerste verdenskrig loes. Og den startet som kjent i...Sarajevo. Ikke saa langt unna det heller, akkurat.

* * *

I was right. Twice. Earlier I wrote about this picture (in Norwegian) of a memorial:


I said then that I thought it was perhaps a military academy since all the dead people listed seem to have different titles in a ranking order. I later asked people who know better than I did, and they told me that the memorial is on the building where Milosevic’s Rump-Yugoslavia had its air command base. In other words, this was one of the most important targets for the NATO air strikes in 1999. That explains why the building is still abandoned and apparently largely demolished on the inside, while the outside looks fairly solid. The reason why it came to my attention in the first place was that this building is in my neighbourhood, in the Zemun part of the city. I was out walking one evening when I came across it and my curiousity was aroused quickly when I detected the words 'dead' and 'NATO aggression' and the dates (summer 1999).

In another post I wrote about this picture, which is also a commemoration:

I earlier wrote (in Norwegian): "Erected in October 1918 on the ten-year anniversary of the breakthrough in Athens. I don’t know exactly what this breakthrough was, but I guess the Serbs fought the Ottomans and won a victory.” It was pretty much that. About 100 years ago Serbia, Bulgaria and Montenegro allied themselves with Greece to expel the Ottoman Turks from the Balkans and Europe, and in 1908 they had a breakthrough in Athens. The statue ‘to the Victor’ was erected in memory of this breakthrough and

The alliance between the four states of the ‘Balkan League’ did not last long, however. In 1912 the first Balkan War started as a result of Bulgaria and Serbia fighting over the spoils when the Ottomans had left; they could not agree on who should get the bigger part of the current Republic of Macedonia. So Serbia and Bulgaria started fighting each other until nearly Christmas 1913. The year after that World War I broke out, and that started as we all know….in Sarajevo, which is pretty much in the neighbourhood.

No comments: