This weekend I was invited with Georgian friends to the Kakheti district, which is Georgia's wine district # 1. But the region also has much else to offer, and these snapshots show some of the things I saw and experienced this weekend.
This is the fortified church complex (and castle) of Gremi. In the 16th century Kakheti was a separate kingdom and Gremi was then the capital. This complex dates back to then, and I even got to discover the King's wine cellar, though there's no wine left, just the stone constructions for production.
View from the top of the church tower, more or less, towards north/east. Behind these mountains you'll find Dagestan, and a bit outside the picture to the left is also the mountain border on Chechenya.
Kaktheti'an dinner: home-grilled shashlik (pork) and bread, produced locally and served 'at home'. With wine from my friend's father-in-law, who is a professional wine maker with large-scale production and his own wine brands. They do both white and red wines, and I enjoyed both.
Mr Wine Producer has enjoyed food, drinks and the company of young people. Now he's 'watching the news', the same way certain other men I know do it somewhere else...
Sighnaghi town, with the Caucasus range in the background. The mountaintops there reach about 3,500 metres a.s.l. Sighnaghi is the only town in the country that has never been conquered throughout history. When you see it it's not hard to understand that it's inconquerable.
I enjoy the view and the surroundings. And I have not gone neither Orthodox nor Muslim. I was just having a bad-hair day.
The crew I spent my weekend with. Names above given from the left.
A part of the wall surrounding and protecting Sighnaghi. If you were thinking about conquering the town you'd just have to take a quick look to realise that it's impossible. This wall is one of the reasons for that. It has 23 towers. The name of the town comes from the Turkish word for 'shelter'.
This is the church where St. Nino is buried, the saint who brought Christianity to Georgia. You can even enter the room where Nino is buried. The Bodbe Monastery is also here, outside the right-hand edge of this picture.
4 comments:
Ser ut som du har hatt en fin tur, æ e litt misunneli på alt du opplev, men æ unna dæ alt:)))
Mmm. Det e under et aar tell du/daakker kan kom hit og se sjoel! Det va heilt fantastisk, baere foerr aa ha det sagt. Paa den annen side: turn vi hadde tell Jonsvatnet i fjor sommer var like mykkje verdt foerr mae;)
Fantastisk å lese og se!!!
Ikke saa verst aa oppleve heller...
Post a Comment