When I came back to the city yesterday I went up to the Parliament on Rustaveli Avenue again, to have a look at the demonstrations on their day # 3. I found a nice spot on the edge of a fountain that decorates the front side of the Parliament building. The turnout seems large, but very many people appear to be there for the sake of entertainment and socialising rather than out of genuine political engagement. On the other hand: it does not take much to change things quickly when so many people are gathered.
Yesterday a girl came up to where I was standing on the Parliament's fascade, waving a Georgian and an Israeli flag together. There is a small Jewish minority in Georgia; in the 2002 cencus they counted 3.772 persons/0.1 % of the population. but it's possible that this girl had other motives and was not Jewish. I don't know, and I did not feel like asking right there and then.
This is what the Georgian Parliament looks like when you are really up close, for instance when you stand on the (shut-down) fountain that decorates the front side of the building. In the opposite end of the water pool there are iron rails at the moment, so that people (protestors) cannot walk onto the steps. Because on the steps in this very place is the podium for the speakers and singers address the audience. There are always musical performances between the political appeals, and people seem to enjoy most of the entertainment.
No comments:
Post a Comment