24 October 2009

Take me to the sea

Okay, I admit it: You don't have to take me to the sea. I know how to get there myself. In fact, earlier this week my work took me to the seaside along with a small group of people. The weather was excellent if only a bit cold, and we had a great time there before returning to the city. The picture above shows the view towards east, and a bit south. You can see the Sulis mountains - behind those mountains lies the border with Sweden, and three of the most fabulous national parks in Sweden. If you're good you also spot a glacier in the mountains to the left. That's the Blåmannsisen glacier, Norway's 3rd larges glacier. The water is the Salten Fjord, which is a fjord that cuts into the coastline by Bodø in an east-west direction.

This is the Børvasstindan mountain range, just south of Bodø. Many of the peaks here reach more than 1,000 metres a.s.l. The mountains are on the mainland, but the dark flat piece of land you see in front of them is an island, Straumøya island. I hiked these mountains a few years back and plan to do so next summer, but I will not go there - skiing or otherwise - between now and then. It's too slippery and parts of the passage will be too wet and dangerous. I'll just enjoy the sight for a few more months!

View towards the west. Small holes have been eroded into the rocks on the shore, and when the tide falls or when it has rained these holes are filled with water. All the land you see on the left is various islands, and just outside the right-hand edge of this picture (and a bit in the distance) lies Bodø airport. From this spot you'll frequently see and hear various kinds of planes and helicopters come by. The city has an F16 base, so there's a lot of military air traffic as well.

I don't know who created this random pice of natural art on the beach, but I nevertheless enjoyed seeing it. It had lasted a day or two when we arrived (I'd seen it there the day before too), but I'm not sure it will last for long. This is a place where the storms hit hard when the wind comes from a western direction, and seaweed will probably soon cover it. But it looks great while it lasts. I think.

Traditional small boat house from this district. I asked the couple on the bench for their permission to take this photograph and include them in it, and during our conversation I learned that it was in fact a relative of the man here who back in the day sold this boat house (and other houses nearby) to the outdoor museum that it belongs to. This boat house was built during the 1930s and was one of the very, very few buildings in this city that survived German bombardment during WWII. The whole city was destroyed then.

The area we went to, Bodøsjøen, has been mildly modified to suit a large number of visitors. You'll find a few tables and benches, as well as a few grills constructed in stone, that serve guests year round. A few bridge -like constructions make access to the waterfront an easier and drier experience, and there's even a little wall one place to shield people from the wind if/when they want to sit down there. To the right of this picture lies a beach, where the circular stone art thing lies. For now.

One of my most faithful friends through many years ;-) I don't drink coffee, so normally I'll bring hot water in my thermos and then make use of chocolate powder to make a drink. Other people can get water from me and use instant coffee. Very flexible. Very warming too, on a cold day. If you come here and walk with me somewhere I'll make sure I bring enough for you too. Promise.

No comments: