23 October 2009

Everyday afternoon life

Last Wednesday I left work around 4.30pm. It had been a day of grey weather, but I happened to see that there was a clear spot below the clouds to the west. I realised that there might be a lovely sunset coming up, so I decided to wait it out. I headed down to the seafront in the city centre with my camera, found a seat and just waited.

While waiting for the sun to come far enough down and below the clouds I looked to the south. And there I could enjoy the view of this; the Børvasstindan mountain range. I walked these mountains the summer of 2002 and will do so again next summer - this year I arrived here too late, and the snow came way too early for that. The peaks reach more than 1,000 m.a.s.l. There is a marked trail in the valley between the two ranges, and there are beautiful little lakes, and rare herbs growing too.

Looking back at the sea, and facing west, I notice a traditional fishing boat coming in from the field. This one was not followed by a flock of seagulls, which means that either they did not have fish on board or they had prepared and put away it all before getting this far. To the right of the fishing boat you can also see the sail of a sailing boat that left the harbour around the time when I arrived. I can understand why someone would want to set sail towards the sunset in weather like this...

The local marina and some of the buildings in the city centre. The sun painted everything golden, and it was just like someone had turned on an orange light underneath a cover of grey and filled the entire space between the clouds and the earth with golden air. I wish I could show you how it really was.

The sun has set below the horizon and light reflects upwards and colours the clouds and the sky alike. The islets you can spot on the horizon line are a group of islands called Bliksvær, and people live there year round. They used to be popular landing spots for fishing boats coming in from the fish-rich fields out at sea, and I think some fishermen still live there. However, there is little industry.

The sun has set, the darkness is conquering more space and soon I left my spot by the sea and walked home. A beautiful end to a day that was less ordinary than expected!

No comments: