08 December 2009

Do you really believe it's dark?

Anyone who's not from here or even from Norway assumes that I now live in a place where it's dark 'half the year or something'. Well, I don't blame you, because you don't know better. I do. And now I'm sharing it with you :)

The picture above was taken around 2pm in the afternoon today. The sun is technically above the horizon every day, however, since Bodø lies on the mainland and there are mountains to the south of the city, we do not really see the sun in the city any more. For about a week the sun in the daytime has been hidden behind the Børvasstindan mountain range, which you can see in one of the recent posts (from Straumøya island). Looking at it from here you can clearly see where the sun is and where it moves, however, you only get to see the light it projects and not the source itself.

Around 8am you can start distinguishing the brighness that creeps in on the sky from its southeastern corner. It takes a while and the change in light goes very slowly, but around 11 a.m. it is bright daylight. On a cloudy day you will still need to use lamps in the house; on clear days you don't. It does not take long after noon before you notice the change in the light. It is as if there is less of it, but you can't point your finger to exactly why. And then, if you're lucky, the sky is clear except for a few thin clouds. At about 1.30-2pm the last of the sun rays hit the clouds and colour the whole world golden. It is as if the western sky is burning, and the contrast to the green-blue darkening surrounding sky makes the colours appear even more clear. And then all of a sudden it is over; the light is visibly fading and colours turn pale and get a hint of grey in them and... And then it's dark.

This time of the year it's generally dark from 3pm to 8.30-9 a.m, give or take. Sounds awful but it isn't as long as you make sure you actually SEE the light in the daytime, instead of just staying inside, in an office or something. I rather think of the days as colourful in many ways, especially if there are polar lights in the sky after dark.

Oh well. Just thought I'd share that.

Sorry about the poor photo quality! My camera is once again being repaired and I have to rely solely on my mobile camera for now.

No comments: