07 April 2011

Smells like spring spirit

It started looking like spring around the 20th of March. But then another snowfall came, and it was equal to the most we've had this winter. One of the days the weather was lovely and I was not at work, so I took the dog with me out and made the most of the day. It was almost like traditional Easter holidays: snow, sun, chocolate and hours spent in the outdoors.

Usually summer here lasts from mid/late December to about late March, a total of 3-3.5 months. Last year the ground was coverend in white from 14 October onwards, and it's still white. Which means we've had winter for nearly half a year now – that's a lot, and it feels like way too much.

So therefore I am glad that spring has arrived for real this time. It started just a few days ago. Snow is melting faster by the day, the temperatures are warm and I can once again wear trainers instead of winter shoes. Soon every little forest path will once again be available for exploring without wearing skis. The walks with the dog will not have to be along streets but can be anywhere, anytime. In a month it won't get properly dark at night either.

Yesterday evening while out walking there were northern lights. There's been quite a lot of that this winter, and I've enjoyed it every single time. Yesterday's sighting might be the last one for the season. Although I'll miss it I'm not sad. It's moving towards summer time, and sunshine 24/7. Bring it on - I am totally ready for it!

No comments: