Three things I'll miss from Tbilisi:
1. Klovnen fra bakhagen hos Prospero's Books. Dette er en amerikanskdrevet bokhandel med engelske boeker og dessuten egen kaffebar.
1. The clown in the backyard of Prospero's Books. Prospero's is an American-run bookshop with books in English and it also has its own coffee bar. It's in a backyard along Rustaveli avenue, and I enjoy going there Saturdays. I don't always buy something, but just being there, reviewing the books while the scent of freshly brewed coffee entertains my nose has become my ultimate Saturday atmosphere thing in this city.
2. Unexpected vistas where and when you least expect it - with glimpses of the sky, the mountains and traces of people. I found this view today walking towards Rustaveli avenue after having been an errand up to Abashidzes street. I looked straight ahead where I was walking along the road, cast a glance to the left and suddenly this motive was there:)
3. Those little signs that testify to the spirit of independence that characterizes the Georgian people, and did so even during the Soviet Union time. The soul of the Georgian people will not be oppressed, it only accepts authority until a certain limit, its sense of independence makes them help themselves in some areas while trying not to step too far into someone else's territory. It shows in the little things; as a glimpse into a people's soul that I've only just begun exploring. This is just one example: Someone have a flat in the basement of a house. They are tired of having to keep the windows closed because drivers park there (there's a shop nearby) and let the engine runn for a long time. So what do they do? They dig a hole in the asphalt, put bits of railway iron down and put cement around it to make sure it sticks, 30-40 cm from the edge of the sidewalk, along the length of the flat. And whops - cars can't park there, but at the same time the iron bars don't present any obstacle to either traffic or people passing by. They just can't park there. Problem solved. Untraditional method, sure, but it works!
No comments:
Post a Comment